Following the journey of award winning author, Alex Azar, as he travels the publishing world and all things interesting. To reproduce or publish any material found within this blog, please contact me at azarrising@hotmail.com

Monday, February 10, 2014

What I'm Reading Now 2/10/14 UPDATED

Next on my reading block is a book by one of the best comic writers in the industry today, Warren Ellis.  He's the creator of the Iron Man stories that heavily influenced the feel of the movies, thus creating the Iron Man most of the public knows and loves.  I know from his comic work that he crafts interesting, fantastic tales but bases them on real world probabilities.



This has made me eager to read his first full length prose novel, "Crooked Little Vein".  However I'm not too sure what the book is about.

Let's see if Ellis' creative talents transfers over to prose...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
So I can say this was a fairly easy read, i was able to finish the entire book in about a week, and I only read it while commuting.  Warren Ellis' writing style really shines through the pages within the book, what doesn't come through is the content.  The entire book was just a showcase of some of the most depraved sexual acts ever committed to paper, with no actual story behind the "adventure".  The first day I began reading the book, I recommended it to a friend that I know would have appreciated Ellis' writing style, however the next time I spoke to that friend I took back my recommendation.

The book centers on a secret constitution that when read to an audience, it will reset the listener's moral compass.  This book was then lost to history because Richard Nixon traded it for sexual services.  A detective is hired to find the book so the government can fix the country with this book.  Crooked Little Vein follows this detective on one sexual misstep to the next, each more and more ridiculous than the last.  Warren Ellis assures us that every act and practice in the book are things he had come across in research for the book.

The sad truth is, I believe all of things in the book are actually out there, I just didn't need a map to them.  That's all this is, not an adventure story, not a mystery book, but a map to sex you didn't even know you didn't want to know about.

My rating for this would have to be...



Chapter 2.  I stand by Warren Ellis as an author, and will pick up some of his other books, but this one left me sour for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment