Following the journey of award winning author, Alex Azar, as he travels the publishing world and all things interesting. To reproduce or publish any material found within this blog, please contact me at azarrising@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What I'm Reading Now 5/21/14

If you didn't realize from my previous posts about Batman's 75th anniversary, I'm a bit of a comic fan. As such I thoroughly enjoyed a six issue comic series called The Escapist which came out in 2006.  The story revolved around a golden age era comic hero I hadn't heard about getting a retelling in more modern times.  It wasn't until after I read the series that I learned there never was a golden age Escapist, but that the character was created for a book that was published in 2000.  That book? "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" by Michael Chabon and it tells the story of two Brooklyn cousins, Jewish immigrants of WWII, who decide to create comics together.



I can safely surmise that this inspires the creation of the Escapist character.  How that story develops is what has me intrigued.  And the fact it won a Pulitzer Prize as a piece of historical fiction based on a non-existent comic character makes this a book I've been looking forward to reading.

Stay tuned for my verdict...

No comments:

Post a Comment